‘Panic’ aboard flight from Dubai as smoke fills cabin
An Air India flight from Dubai to Mumbai was forced to make an emergency landing Sunday after fire alarms sounded and smoke filled parts of the cabin, according to local media.
Flight AI 984 was descending into Mumbai when it declared an emergency.
Smoke was reportedly detected in one of the washrooms. Passengers were asked to fasten their seat belts and were given emergency safety instructions.
“Crew members rushed to the washroom as soon as smoke was detected from it. When they opened the washroom door, it was learnt that the dustbin in the washroom had caught fire,” said a passenger.
The plane landed safely in Mumbai and passengers were evacuated. An investigation revealed that one of the passengers had lit a cigarette in the washroom and dropped the burning stub into the dustbin, igniting its contents.
The passenger responsible for the incident was handed over to police.