DP World will upgrade Egyptian port on new Suez Canal

DP World will upgrade Egypt’s Ain Sokhna seaport to cater to larger vessels using the expanded Suez Canal.
DP World will upgrade Egypt’s Ain Sokhna seaport to cater to larger vessels using the expanded Suez Canal.
DP World will upgrade Egypt’s Ain Sokhna seaport to cater to larger vessels using the expanded Suez Canal.

Share

Egypt’s Suez Canal Authority (SCA) and the Red Sea Ports Authority have signed an agreement with DP World and Sonker Bunkering Company for the development of Egypt’s Ain Sokhna seaport.

The port will be upgraded in-line with the recent redevelopment of the Suez Canal, with 60% of the venture’s capital belonging to Egypt and the remaining 40% to DP World, according to Egypt Independent.

It has previously been reported that DP World intended to place a bid for developing the second berth at El Sokhna Port, while also planning to invest around US $200 in developing Sokhna’s third berth.

DP World is developing its global presence and released a new five-point plan to develop Africa’s infrastructure at the Africa Global Business Forum.

The points of the plan included public-private partnerships, monitoring the life cycle of infrastructure by maintaining and upgrading existing stock and enhanced trade integration.

DP World is currently planning to develop a new freezone in Senegal adjacent to DP World-Dakar Terminal, which is West Africa’s largest and most modern container terminal.

DP World is also investing in an electronic port community system to make all trading transactions paperless in Algerian ports based on the Dubai Trade portal. The system will be deployed at the ports of Algiers, Oran and Skikda, offering integrated electronic services from various trade and logistics service providers under a single window.

The port and terminal giant has also recently displayed some of its innovations for the port and logistics industry at ‘UAE Innovation Week’.

This involved a report entitled ‘A Turning Point: The potential role of ICT innovations in ports and logistics’, which articulated five key ICT trends that are set to impact all aspects of trade, including robotics and autonomous vehicles.

Most Popular