First CEO welcomed at World Free Zones Organisation
Dr. Samir Hamrouni has been appointed as the first chief executive officer of the World Free Zones Organization (World FZO).
Hamrouni, who was previously senior advisor to the vice chairman and CEO at Dubai Silicon Oasis, has been tasked with designing and driving a strategic growth plan for World FZO.
He will also be responsible for selecting, coordinating and leading a team that will put in place a comprehensive offering for members.
The appointment was made at World FZO's first meeting, chaired by the organisation's board of directors, Dr. Mohammed Alzarooni.
Alzarooni said: “With Dr. Hamrouni’s experience and knowledge of the free and economic zone model both in the region and around the world, it was a unanimous decision by all members of the board to appoint him, and we are confident of his abilities to reach our strategic goals of the World FZO.”
The board also set up five committees covering various mandates of World FZO with chairpersons for each:
- the Executive Committee to manage the strategic planning, urgent operational matters and authorisation of capital expenditures (Dr. Mohammed Alzarooni - UAE).
- the Finance Committee to review and maintain the association's budget and develop funding arrangements for its operation and programs (Rose Hynes - Ireland).
- the Knowledge Committee to oversee development of the intellectual base for free zone research outreach to organisations and to the international investor communities (Isidoro Hodara – Uruguay).
- the Law Committee to develop a free zone code of conduct for zone administrators (Julie Brown – the US).
- the Membership Committee to manage membership development for zone authorities and zone operators (Martin Gustavo Ibarra - Colombia).
World FZO, which is open to all member nations of the United Nations, comprises representatives of established free zones as well as local, regional and international free zone associations from across the world.
Established in Geneva, Switzerland, in 2013, World FZO is headquartered in the Dubai Airport Freezone in the UAE and provides global leadership in terms of knowledge of free zones.